Sunday, March 28, 2010

Ok with having Multiple Sclerosis in 2010

Well I'm not really happy about this disease(full disclosure time) and I would not wish it upon even my enemies. I am glad about the progress of treatments and support that is available in 2010. My DX came just about 10 years ago now(my saga), at that time there was just 3 main drugs available. Here Todd choose A,B or C (Avonex, BetaSeron or Copaxone). Betaseron seemed to work for about 5 years and now I am on a daily injection of Copaxone. There also was little in the way of a support system in place. There were some small groups that only met once a month at my local chapter, but I felt there should be more.

Fast forward to 2010 and I am happy to report that there is a lot more options and between what is available through the MS Society and online resources I don't feel so alone anymore.

Want to talk to MS'ers?

MS Society-

I really was quite shy after my initial DX, I just couldn't seem to bring myself to talking about this disease and how it affected me and my family. What I came to realize was I couldn't talk to anyone about it because I was still in a state of denial. I give credit to my local MS Society for reaching out to me and inviting me to a men's group meeting. I really enjoy meeting and talking to others now. I think since I have been able to talk about it, I deal with it better. I highly recommend getting involved with your local chapter.

Facebook -

There is a very large community available here. If you are wheelchair bound this is a great way to interact with other MS'ers. Get started by going to www.facebook.com, sign up and just do a search for multiple sclerosis. You will be presented with a very large choice of people and groups. Take your time it can be a little overwhelming, but it is worth the time to learn your way around. I really appreciate all the facebookers who lift me on a daily basis.

This is MS -

I have been to a lot of forums, generally I found that you had to go along to get along. I found this forum to be very refreshing in that there are a lot of actual conversations going on. A sharing of ideas and that occasional pick me up you get from a kind word.

This is by no means a finite list, just the first 3 that I like. If you prefer more reading than interacting I love 2 sites in particular - Stu's Views and The MS bloggers over at the Buzz.

Have a site that you love to visit? Please post in the comments below. Also please visit our t-shirt site to benefit MS

Have a Great Day

No comments:

Post a Comment